Sunday, February 14, 2016

02.15.16

"The water's too hot!"

You lifted your foot and looked at me as if I did it on purpose. I stifled a laugh under my face mask.

"Go get the shower head and fill it up with some cold water."

I sat up to change my song playlist because I know you'd freak out upon hearing Justin Bieber. Then I watched you as you positioned yourself opposite me. This is going to be nice, I thought.

"Would you like to try my face mask?" I asked.

"Sure."

I handed you a moist face mask and the two of us just stared at each other with these white cloths on our faces. It was so pathetic yet cute, and I was feeling unexplainably giddy about it. Well, I thought, maybe, this is the most x-rated we can get in a hot tub.

"Come here," you said, "let me give you a back rub."

Oh, maybe we could do so much better then.

You pressed your thumb on my back and I felt all my stress melt away. All of a sudden, my mind was filled with the scent of lavender; the tub slid out of this world and into somewhere gentler, more compassionate.

"I'd choose this moment over any tour, any time," I whispered.

And that was true.

You put your arms around me, took a deep breath as if it, too, was all you'd ever need.

Remember this, I told myself, preserve this moment for those that are yet to come but may not be as beautiful. 

I closed my eyes, so that even though we are not perfect, in many simple moments such as this, I can be certain that we have been nothing short of splendid.

No comments:

Post a Comment